The American Wing at the Met

Tuesday, October 5, 2010


In May, The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York reopened its American Wing galleries after two years of renovations and updates. The event was complete with a ribbon cutting ceremony by the First Lady. If you have not been to the new galleries or never at all I really suggest you go - especially to see the decorative arts! As you may know, I have a masters in the History of Decorative Arts, so I might be a bit biased but honestly the Met’s collection of Americana is beautiful! It is so interesting to see the objects of daily life from the past. To me decorative arts, (which includes furniture, silver, glass, textiles, and ceramics) are an amazing way to capture the past. They are a fusion of history and art and can really represent the current events, social values, and popular culture of their time. I love painting and sculpture as well but decorative arts are too often overlooked! Well enough of that – I don’t want to bore you but do enjoy these three beautiful side chairs from the Met’s collection for now. I am sure you will hear much more from me on this in the future. . .

1794-99 attributed to Samuel McIntire, Salem Massachusetts. Look at the amazing nail head pattern they used – it would be great today on a simple upholstered dining chair!

1815-20 attributed to John and Hugh Finlay, Baltimore Maryland. A fantastic painted klismos chair in vibrant yellow and green.

 1877-79 attributed to the Herter Brothers, New York City. Such beautiful inlaid floral marquetry pattern on the back!  

I do hope you'll go and enjoy the American Wing at the Met! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan